Friday, January 29, 2010

Thank you

Thank you

I have been writing for a long time but never tried to publish. I got an anonymous suggestion at my other Myspace account that I should try. I figured what the heck. So I submitted a story. Of course it was rejected. Then it was rejected again and again. Well maybe my stories aren’t good enough to publish, I thought. Then a publisher accepted one of my stories. Joy of joys. My joy was short lived though. The publisher went out of business before my ms was even done being edited.

Devastation was a mild word to describe my feeling at that point. Self doubt? Oh yes. Big time self doubt. Did I really want to start the process of rejections again? Were my stories garbage and only of interest to me. In the mean time I had created an author Myspace and an author web site at the suggestion of the now defunct publisher. Nothing on them but they were there. (chuckle)

I started sending out friend requests to other authors from my Myspace account and by chance encountered Stephanie who advertised she was an editor. We started corresponding and I sent her a sample of one of my stories to look at. I was prepared to be told that it was crap because that was my frame of mind at the time. To my surprise she thought is was ok. She said good but I think she was just being kind. (chuckle) It needed a lot of edits. No surprise there (chuckle)

Over the months we became friends in addition to her editing. She virtually slapped me around and kicked me in the butt until I was able to say that maybe my stories weren’t so bad after all. I started the submission process again. I submitted one to a new publisher that was formed by one of the authors I had met at the now defunct one. To my surprise they published it. I don’t know how well it is doing since I had and have little idea of the promo process. I am learning though thanks to my new friends.

I submitted another story to EP and it was accepted. Wow. Woot woot. I haven’t been published there yet but I have gained something. Something that is of very great value to me. I gained a bunch of very good friends. I won’t list the names because for sure I would leave someone out unintentionally. I will only say that the list is long and it is getting longer each day. I have another contract with yet another publisher and have good friends there also. All of my new friends are helpful, understanding and a joy to correspond with.

If there is anyway I can help you then you have but to ask. I could go on writing this but then it would not get posted in a timely manor. Maybe some of you will think this post is rather silly or even mushy. I can only call your attention to the name of this blog (the way I see it) I felt compelled to post it.
I will end this blog entry by saying simply. Thank you. :)
Gary

4 comments:

Z(Aasiyah/Nolwynn) said...

I too say - Thank you!!

Big hugs (and I got your email, btw!)

Author GE Stills said...

Thanks Z I'm so glad you stopped by

J Hali Steele said...

Gary, I like "the way you see it". I'm glad you hung in there, otherwise--I wouldn't have made a new friend.

Author GE Stills said...

Hi Joann. Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you consider me a friend. Growl and roar my friend. :)But watch out for the pest from the west. :)